VA

BREAKING NEWS: Scores Of Zimbabweans Feared Dead After Bus Plunges Into Cliff In Limpopo

BREAKING NEWS: Scores Of Zimbabweans Feared Dead After Bus Plunges Into Cliff In Limpopo
By Staff Reporter

Scores of Zimbabweans are feared dead after a cross-border bus travelling from Gauteng to Zimbabwe plunged into a cliff along the N1 outside Makhado in Limpopo early Thursday morning.

The horrific crash occurred near Ingwe Lodge — the same stretch of road where 44 people, including 36 Zimbabweans and eight Malawians, were killed in a similar tragedy in October last year.

Authorities say the bus remains trapped at the bottom of the cliff, with rescue teams still battling to reach victims and determine the full scale of the disaster.

In a statement, the South Africa’s Department of Traffic and Community Safety confirmed multiple fatalities and injuries but said exact numbers are yet to be verified.

“A bus carrying passengers lost control and fell into a ditch in the area,” the department said.

“At this stage, the exact cause of the accident remains unknown. However, it is clear that there are multiple fatalities and injuries. A competent authority will confirm the numbers in due course.”

The department added that the bus was travelling from Gauteng to Zimbabwe, although it has not yet been established whether all passengers on board were Zimbabwe-bound.

The vehicle remains lodged in the ditch, complicating rescue operations and making it difficult to determine how many people were on board at the time of the crash.

The N1 has been closed to traffic, with motorists advised to use the alternative route via Nzhelele’s R523 road until further notice.

Limpopo’s MEC for Transport and Community Safety, Violet Mathye, is expected to arrive at the scene later this morning.

More updates to follow as authorities release further information.