VA

Ecobank $4 million heist brothers arrested

 Ecobank $4 million  heist brothers arrested

By staff Reporter



HARARE – Police investigators are “working flat out” to extradite the Vumbunu brothers, the alleged masterminds of Zimbabwe’s biggest cash heist, an official said on Wednesday.

Authorities have already secured the extradition of 39-year-old Bhekani Mlilo, one of the alleged robbers, from Botswana. He appeared in a Bulawayo court last week and was remanded in custody to December 5.

National police spokesman Commissioner Paul Nyathi said legal processes were still underway to bring Abraham Temayi Vumbunu and Elijah Temayi Vumbunu back to Zimbabwe. The pair were arrested by South African police on July 5.

Police link the brothers and Mlilo to the October 3, 2024, gun raid at an Ecobank branch in central Bulawayo, during which a gang seized cash boxes containing US$4 million. At least seven men took part in the daylight robbery as Safeguard security guards ferried the cash out of the bank.


Police have named Simon Xola Ngcobo, Menzeli Mpofu and a man identified only as Khalid Ntimen as persons of interest. A Safeguard supervisor arrested in connection with the robbery was released without charge.

Nyathi, addressing a press briefing in Bulawayo, said investigators had uncovered evidence of possible collusion between the robbers and bank staff.

“There are clear procedures and protocols to be followed. You can’t just take anybody without observing legal requirements,” he said of the extradition process. “In South Africa, they have to appear before the courts there before being remanded to Zimbabwe.”

He said police were now certain the robbery involved “inside people”, noting similarities with other recent high-profile robberies where employees leaked operational information.

“It is clear. We now know they were working with inside people,” he said. “We’ve been seeing cases where inside information is used. That is why we are urging companies, including financial institutions, to vet their employees.”

Nyathi cited a recent case involving a bakery where a driver sent to collect US$10,000 allegedly connived with relatives to stage a robbery.

“Sometimes people stage robberies,” he warned. “Companies must not take things for granted. We must stop allowing employees to work with outsiders and steal from the company’s investment.”

He urged businesses to strengthen internal controls, saying law enforcement alone cannot stop syndicates exploiting staff members to gain access to large sums of cash.

During Mlilo’s court appearance, prosecutors also revealed that the gang had not only targeted the Ecobank branch in the city centre but also the bank’s Bradfield branch.

From the 9th Avenue and Fife Street branch, the gang allegedly seized cash boxes containing US$3,983,500 along with three firearms taken from Safeguard guards. An additional cash box containing US$465,500 was stolen from the Bradfield branch bringing the total amount stolen to $4,449,000.

The National Prosecuting Authority further disclosed that the Ford Ranger used in the robberies was registered in the name of Nomsa Aneline Zingela and had been driven into Zimbabwe from South Africa. The robbers allegedly replaced the South African number plates with fake Zimbabwean plates in preparation for the heist.
Source: Zim Live